Friday, January 16, 2009

The Horses: Thunder

Thunder is a 14 y.o. grade paint horse. He was my first real barrel horse. However, he had about as much experience in it as I did, which entailed a few small 4-H shows and literally NO real training. Essentially, Thunder and I took a crash course in gymkhana together. My parents didn't know any better and I was only 15 and hadn't had horses that long. So, I got a horse that was way too much to handle and knew nothing about barrels or gymkhana. We ran up the fence, we reared, we broke a pole bending pole (our favorite rearing event). I never gave up with him and gradually learned how to practice and ride so these things didn't happen. However, it wasn't until 2007 when he was 12 that I started to get the potential out of that horse. Had the person that got him been a better trainer, an experience racer, he would have more than likely been in the first division relatively quickly. However, he ended up with me.

We did not run last year due to moving and lack of a truck, but this year, maybe he will run again. It is hard to say at the moment, he gets sore on his front feet, but pads during monsoon season (also the busiest time for rodeos and divisional races) will only help his feet get thrush. I've been debating keeping boots over his shoes during this time when I practice or trail ride to protect his sore feet.



















However, the other issue is time. I will most likely be starting a program for my Master's degree at University of Arizona. If that happens, I won't have time to keep two horses fit and sound for barrel racing. Unfortunately, because Titan is younger and rarely has soundness issues, I choose him to campaign. This might spell retirement for Thunder, which is hard for me to grasp. However, he's run barrels with me for 9 years now and it has taken a toll on his joints.

Back in about 2004 he got a bone chip in his left hind ankle, that we were able to heal with a hard core joint supplement and injections. However, the arthritis left makes it hard for him to REALLY plant around the barrels and aim for that 1d time. He can still run 2d, I think pain free, he could be in 1d, but I'm not sure that I have the means for him to be completely pain free and run the barrels.


















So really, its in my best interest to put my chips on Titan and race him for the time being. It will be hard to leave Thunder at home or at the trailer, but he has earned the rest and we will still enjoy trail rides together. I refuse to sell Thunder, even if he can't run. I love that horse and he and I learned so much from each other, there is just no way I could ever give him away.

Still, this has been a tough decision and has taken me so much time to work through. I'm sure the first time I go to a race without him, I'll want to cry.
Here is a great example of our inability to turn in the beginning. We're about a mile and a half from the barrel. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment